Old 09-24-23, 01:05 AM
choddo

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 687 Post(s)
Liked 456 Times in 340 Posts
Originally Posted by DiTBho
I don't trust it enough, also I don't like to have several batteries(2). You have to periodically check the charge, you have to replace. Too annoying for me.

I khow encryption works and how there is always a way to exploit some software or hardware bug, so I don't want to spend more time on something that needs extra care to only be at best "reliable enough" with always a margin of risk.

Now they sell and advertise on YouTube and Facebook an orange device (I won't tell you the name) that also hacks traffic lights and allows you to pass the subway barrier for free(1), and there are a lot of idiots who buy it and then go around to disturb people.

Imagine if you met one of these idiots who, for a laugh, made you change gear uphill, perhaps in one of those crossed positions to avoid.

No, it's not for me! My philosophy is: don't keep more ports open on your router than you really need, never do something wireless if you can do without it.

(1) it's not hypothetical, they did and filmed it, and uploaded it to Youtube... damn how it depressed me to see this idiotic use of technology. Even worse when they used that device to hack coffee and drink vending machines, with the result that the company that manages them got pissed off and increased the price of the drinks.

(2) batteries:
- one battery for the wireless speed meter?
- one battery for the wireless cadence sensor?
- one battery for the wireless rear deraillerur?
- one battery for the wireless front deraillerur?
- one battery for the wireless front led?
- one battery for the wireless rear position light?
how many bloody batteries do you have? and how many wireless channels do you use?
no way, all wired, only one battery for everything!
I work in software so I know you’re right about bugs but those are always fhe result of careless coding / ignorance of security architecture. So I don’t think anyone buying a product where this problem is very obvious from the start has much risk but you’re right that for a hobby project it’s a lot of extra complexity.

You forgot batteries for power meter, Garmin and HRM