Old 09-24-23, 03:59 AM
DiTBho

Bikes: Moser Forma/Campagnolo 8sp, Litespeed Classic/Campagnolo 8sp

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 18 Posts
Originally Posted by choddo
I work in software so I know you’re right about bugs but those are always fhe result of careless coding / ignorance of security architecture. So I don’t think anyone buying a product where this problem is very obvious from the start has much risk but you’re right that for a hobby project it’s a lot of extra complexity.
Yup, and it's also a question of costs!

I've worked for years on avionics firmware testing, DO178B etc., and "I've seen things that you humans..." (quote, from BladeRunner) ...that is, from supersonic planes to airliners to cargo planes, we go through thousands and thousands and thousands of hours of work on test reports (QA-supervised testing activities), and this is something that is never done in the rest(1) of the software industry, not for phones, much less for bicycle devices, which instead are classified as "level E", meaning even if they contain a bug they will never cause material damage or death of people, so you can imagine how superficial the tests were.

And this for a very specific reason: those who do software testing must be constantly trained (new tools, new procedures, etc.), preferably they should be a software engineer, and professional figures of this type are needed in geometry progression both with complexity of the software to be tested both with the level { A, B, C, D, E } of the DO178B specifications that you want to follow, and in any case they are salaries to be paid, and the equipment they use are typically expensive, all costs which then affect the selling price, which must be competitive... and therefore we cut where we can cut.

That little bloody idiotic orange gadget I was talking about can crash both traffic lights and coffee vending machines, just like the "aircrack" program (now "Aircrack-ng") can crack your WPA/WPA2 Wi-Fi password, there are people on YouTube who say you have to do it "to prank their neighbors" or "the unfortunate people who pass by them in shopping centers", go figure if no one thinks about it by exploiting it for "bluebugging" (Bluetooth cracking) even when you're riding your bike and trying to climb a hill (sure, they will!)

You can also find articles about Bluetooth PIN Cracking, but basically you can cause annoyance by simply preventing the transmitter from reaching the receiver.

It's that if you come across one of these "joking dudes" (Jokers?) ... it will only be him or her who will have a laugh, while you will be less than happy that you have been hacked, and you understand that it bothers me a lot also due to professional deformation: I'm one of those who does testing, and then like a fool I get my bicycle hacked?

LOL

Originally Posted by choddo
You forgot batteries for power meter, Garmin and HRM
Yup, added to the list.
(I wouldn't buy them, the list was already exaggerated, so now it's doubled in exaggeration)

(1) {Naval, (high-speed) rail, medical, avionics, and nuclear facilities} have stringent software testing requirements and guidelines; other branches have less, little or even nothing (e.g. Arduino).

Last edited by DiTBho; 09-24-23 at 04:13 AM.
Likes For DiTBho: