View Single Post
Old 09-24-23, 09:06 PM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Liked 1,057 Times in 743 Posts
I typically commuted in khaki or cargo shorts, a basic t-shirt, boxer briefs, and sneakers. If it was cooler I'd wear cargo or khaki pants and wouldn't think anything of it. Being in good enough shape that I could average 16-18mph without really sweating much was a nice bonus. Personally I never found it uncomfortable and most days would turn the 8-12mi ride into a 25-40mi ride home in the same clothes which then needed changing. I did jeans a couple times and would not recommend it, just too thick and don't breathe well enough. Maybe its just me as well, but I have gotten several different pairs of synthetic "sport" boxer briefs and they always made me feel swampy and smelly, don't know what's supposed to be wicking about them but it isn't for me. Wool boxer briefs take longer to dry than cotton in my experience but do the best job of not smelling though I've never had a problem with cotton if I'm wearing a lighter weight shorts or pants. Shirt-wise I'd usually gone cotton and even enjoy a short sleeve, loose fitting, light weight button up but as I've discovered wool I've been more impressed. Recently picked up this long sleeve shirt which is a heavier weight.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I raced in one yesterday in a windy 58* and pouring rain, even after finishing soaking wet and covered in mud I didn't feel cold and even though it claims it is only 26% wool it got soaked enough to still smell sheepish. The main problem I've had with wool is that the material is thin, I just bought a second of these today because of how its done and being similar in weight to a cotton shirt, I find thinner ones just develop holes in record time. The other problem is that until it dries, it always has that sheepish smell. The other time I wore this shirt the wool/poly blend really did a decent job of regulating temp and drying fast. I'm now hoping to find some short sleeve versions.
I still often dress this way when riding to do visits for my job, I've been told I don't always look professional enough as a result, but so far I've yet to have anyone I've visited complain, they're just happy to see me.

Originally Posted by 79pmooney
The cotton Dockers of the 1990s that were slightly baggy around the hips worked very well for cycling. Easy to wear cycling briefs under. Loose enough fit that sweat less of an issue than with many pants. They also held up well on a bike. One of my wishes is that those pants came back. I still love my old pairs but they are decades past presentable (but still holding up well).
These were the best, couldn't agree more.