View Single Post
Old 09-25-23, 08:39 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6260 Post(s)
Liked 4,282 Times in 2,400 Posts
Originally Posted by staehpj1
I know that there are many factors involved, but I am curious how long some of we older riders manage to ride technical single track and other MTB trails as we age. I know that I have spoken to a number of local guys who feel like they have aged out of riding any of the local trails that they don't consider "flowy". I mentioned to a neighbor that I rode from the house and where I went and he said he'd have to walk most of what I ride. He drives to some nice flowy non technical trails about 20 minutes drive from home to ride. The 40 minute round trip drive, plus loading and unloading the car is a lot of inertia to overcome so it means he is way less likely to ride.

Any way it got me thinking. He is about 10 years my junior (I am 72) and apparently in good health. I know our life and health can be a fragile thing and can be taken away at any time, but I'd like to think there is a reasonable chance that I can still be riding the same kind of trails and make trips to destination rides another 10-15 years if I continue to be blessed with good health. I have always had decent skills for crashing gracefully and without serious orthopedic injury. I think that helps a lot.

We don't have long fast downhills here, but I'd love to ride some if we did. I have always been a fearless descender and I don't think I'd let my age stop me. I miss those descents having moved to Tallahassee. It is one thing I'll enjoy if I travel with my MTB. At present I have been kind of stuck at home and have not travelled for a while.

Am I kidding myself about the likelyhood of another 10-15 years of enjoying this?

What have you found that you have managed? Have you toned down your trail riding? Quit trail riding? Or are you still riding like you did whne younger?
Okay, I just got to say where do you find trails in Florida that aren’t “flowy”? Do you even have trails with rocks on them?
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!