Old 10-02-23, 09:02 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2639 Post(s)
Liked 1,987 Times in 1,244 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
In that part of the world, I-90 replaced U.S. 10. The old highway was kept where possible, but I-90 was dropped on top of the old highway in places. In this case, there was no practical way to get around that hill up ahead and keep the old highway. After getting around the hill, I got off the Interstate and got back on the old highway. That was about 3 miles later.
One similar spot is between Old Fort and Black Mountain, NC, where they blasted and widened until I-40 had swallowed up U.S. 70 over the Blue Ridge. And since it's east of the Mississippi, North Carolina has banned bicycle traffic, not that I'm sure I'd want to cycle that anyway. At least in that case there are some small back roads a cyclist could cobble together to cross the mountain without too much of a detour.

FWIW, that didn't happen further west across the Tennessee state line. NCDOT had to blast two routes off the side of the mountains to build I-40 through there. They say they learned a lot of lessons on how to do that after 40 years of repairing rocks above the road fracturing and sliding down to block the interstate.