View Single Post
Old 10-04-23, 10:38 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5982 Post(s)
Liked 2,907 Times in 1,614 Posts
Originally Posted by SurferRosa
Do you represent some sort of modern bike shop industry lobbying group? Your takes are truly ****.
Let's be fair.

While I disagree on the details, especially the justification for $200, i consider the passage you quoted as a valid and valuable reminder of the incidental costs of DIY.

Those of us who routinely work on bikes can easily justify tool costs because we'll use them frequently. But, that's not true for those for whom bike repair is only a now and then thing.

I'm a big fan of bike co-ops, aka bike kitchens, especially those that work like a laundromat, wherein you can do your own work, using their facilities, parts, tools, and advice, OR simply leave the bike and the their staff deal with it.

Unfortunately, the lack of basic fixit shops and co-ops is a major reason many at the fringes find it cheaper to buy junk bikes, ride them until they break, then replace rather than repair them.

Millions of people are riding $200 bikes daily, and simply can't justify champagne maintenance on their beer bikes.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Likes For FBinNY: