View Single Post
Old 10-05-23, 06:56 AM
staehpj1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1255 Post(s)
Liked 767 Times in 567 Posts
Originally Posted by djb
pdlamb, what tire widths will you be using? Big factor in how a given surface rides and what can be pretty darn annoying or tiresome if you are really undertired for most of the time.
I agree 100%
If I were to be doing a week long trip on the surfaces sort of what you describe above, the wider the tires you can use will make things faster, more comfortable for you, being more sure footed and frankly just more fun.
How wide can you go with your bike? My 2 cents would be to get some reasonably priced wider tires with an appropriate tread pattern, they don't have to be expensive tires at all, but will certainly increase the enjoyment factor.
Yep.

for the conditions you describe, I've ridden similar ish stuff on 2in slicks, also 2.1 inch tires with a slickish middle and knobs on edges which give more front end traction on softer surfaces, and also 2.1 inch cross country mtb type tires with moderate tread pattern that give even more traction on varying dirt and gravel but still roll reasonably well on hard packed and pavement.
Probably all true, but I'll just comment on the 2.1" cross country tires. I found that for me someting with lots of low small knobs works suprisingly well even on the pavement on a mixed surace tour. I used some Kenda Slant sixes in that size and was not surprised that they were great on gravel and singletrack. I was surprised how well they worked out for the paved road sections. I didn't mind them at all. I am sure other cross country race tires would work out well too.

Edited to add that was with my "vintage" 1990 26" rigid MTB.

Last edited by staehpj1; 10-05-23 at 08:25 AM.