View Single Post
Old 10-10-23, 03:43 AM
jgwilliams

Bikes: Dolan Tuono 105 Di2, custom built 653 and 531 bikes with frames by Barry Witcomb, Sonder Dial XT mountain bike and a Brompton folding bike.

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 299 Post(s)
Liked 142 Times in 101 Posts
Originally Posted by David_Harris
Bike signaling only with one arm has never made sense to me. When cars didn’t all come with indicator lights, the driver side arm doing the signaling only makes sense, because you can’t just reach across most vehicles and point your arm out the window, as you can with the window on the door next to you. But on a bike? I can just point with either arm which way I’m going to go, and so use the arm that is on the side of my intended direction.
Yes, totally agree. If I started using my right arm to indicate I was turning left I'd leave a trail of confused and angry drivers behind me. Since it's over 45 years since I took my driving test I don't even know if hand signals are still taught in the UK; it wouldn't surprise me if they aren't.

As it happens, it isn't uncommon for me not to indicate that I'm turning left, or to leave it quite late, in order to avoid having drivers dive in front me.