Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1520 Post(s)
Liked 3,508 Times in 1,146 Posts
Originally Posted by WGB
obrentharris and pastorbobnlnh

Thank you. I was just about to post the question
"How long is too long for tubulars to sit with sealant?"

In late August I installed brand new Continental Competitions and they were not cheap!
Within 100 miles I had a pinhole leak. I added Orange Seal inspite of warnings from friends that it would harden in my tire. I calculated it was better to have some life out of the tire than no life.

I'd still like to see more than two-three months of riding on this tire.

I live in Southern Ontario and wonder if the sealant gets cold enough and freezes, will it harden and stay hard?

If I take each bike and spin the wheels once each month for say twenty to thirty revolutions will that be enough? I can't really ride a road bike here between say mid December until early April. I don't really have a place to store wheels in the house.
I think your plan of spinning the wheels once a month is a good one. Probably just a couple of revolutions is enough. Maybe make sure you don't leave the same section of tire at the bottom after each spin session so that any thin skin of latex that might form won't be right on top of another thin skin. One word of caution; the sealant only stays liquid for a finite time. The manufacturers say 6 or 7 months, I think. I think this is worst case scenario in mountain bike tires that have a large volume of air to react with the sealant and hasten its demise. My experience with MTB tires is that the sealant hardens and forms gooey little rocks within a year, but my tires don't usually last that long so my experience is limited. I have one set of tubulars that still has liquid sealant that I installed in April of 2021, so I think the issue is not quite so pressing in smaller volume tires.
Brent

Last edited by obrentharris; 10-10-23 at 08:03 PM. Reason: Just can't seem to get my name right!
Likes For obrentharris: