Thread: Totally Tubular
View Single Post
Old 10-11-23, 09:22 AM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 131 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4862 Post(s)
Liked 4,011 Times in 2,607 Posts
Originally Posted by smontanaro
I will be experimenting with tubular tape for the first time. Ellen and I are headed out to Portland to visit our son and grandson. I'll be working in a bike I've yet to lay my eyes on. I shipped out a couple packages with parts and tools, but forgot to send any glue for the tubular rims. I didn't think it worth the risk to try and carry a can of Mastik One on the flight (> 3.5oz & flammable to boot). I could have tried to buy some locally or shipped to a local shop (@gugie said there's a Universal Cycles shop in Beaverton). Instead, I opted for some Jantex tape bought from Amazon which should arrive at my son's place on Monday.
I rode Cycle Oregon on the Jantex tape with no issues. I love how you mount the tires. Easy to get the tire on as straight as it is sewn. Follow the instruction to the letter. Tire mounted straight on top of the clear plastic. Don't push down on the tire. Doing so may mean the plastic tears as you pull it out.

I haven't tried to take a tire off yet. Don't know what I am in for. I hope my hands and a steel tire iron are up for the job.