Old 10-14-23, 10:15 AM
88ss

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked 118 Times in 55 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
So how much time did you spend cycling each year before you got the single speed bike? And what was your combined total with all bikes for the year you rode the single speed? IMO, more miles ridden, regardless of the type bike will improve your cycling.
I haven't had a single speed since I was 7 years old. I might be missing out. But mashing my way up a hill will quickly ruin my fun.I'm okay with you riding it if it provides you more fun and/or interest. Actually I'm okay with what ever it does for you. Don't let me be the rain on your parade!
My riding habits have not changed for a number of years as far as my miles per year, per week or the routes I ride on. I ride certain routes dozens or even into the hundreds of times each year, and I regularly test my speed over those routes I have ridden countless times. Despite being in my 60s and being a year older, on my favorite multi-speed road bike with zero equipment upgrades since last year, I was consistently one mph or more faster in my average speed in multiple timings, up in the 21+mph bracket, a speed I have not regularly spent time in for a few decades, not it is as easy as pie to do any time I want to.

This single speed bike has flat pedals on it and a free-hub, so it is not a fixie, but just riding the miles with flat pedals has noticeable improved my pedaling, I never have any missteps at all in pedaling with the flats, my feet never come off the pedals or slip, and at will I can move my feet forwards, backwards or sideways or toe them in and out while pedaling. I still have clipless pedals and shoes to ride with, but I have no preference for them at all anymore.