View Single Post
Old 10-17-23, 07:34 PM
grolby

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 288 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 60 Posts
Originally Posted by YK_
Country of manufacturing matters because $1500 retail for a mass produced steel frameset made in Taiwan is overpriced. Ritchey isn't putting out bespoke MiUSA frames that would typically command that high of a price. There is a non-zero chance the same factory producing Ritchey frames produces Surly frames. Spend your money how you want, but telling people that the "magic of steel" can't be found within the likes of Surly offerings is pretentious (and delusional). But the cycling industry is built around excessive consumerism... so carry on I guess.
Ok that’s fine. From experience owning both, Ritchey frames have a smoother and livelier ride than a Surly and it’s a nice experience to have. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder of course, but I also think Ritcheys are much prettier. Of course price is a reasonable consideration and a perfectly fine reason to prefer a Surly. The OP asked about a Ritchey Outback though and I just wanted to explain that my experience with them has been very positive and superior in some ways to other popular mass-produced framesets. I’m sorry to say that custom USA-made steel frames don’t sell for what a Ritchey does, as it would be very nice if they did. You can sneak in under $2k with a Rock Lobster, though I have to say Paul is both a fabulous builder and also probably should charge more for his work. And of course that price doesn’t include a fork.

I regret the comment about Surly since I really was just trying to express my affection for Ritchey frames. Which I have to say I think are a fantastic value even at full retail price. With the discount currently being offered due to overstock, it’s a no-brainer for me. I wish I could justify an Outback but I have far too many bikes already.