Old 10-18-23, 10:57 PM
2cam16

Bikes: TRIMMED DOWN THE HERD

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1096 Post(s)
Liked 951 Times in 607 Posts
Originally Posted by SeanBikes
Picked up this mysterious Canadian Raleigh Chill in a police auction... It was/is a complete bike -- I've already been working on it, but the wheels came with it -- and in relatively good condition for its age (probably 1996). Still had the plastic covering the crank bolt! Was surprised to find a fully functional sealed bearing bottom bracket on a bike this old, though I'm not really sure when those started coming into fashion so perhaps it's not that strange. It's main unique feature is the reflective paint, which makes this thing shine at night with each passing car. This will be perfect for my intended use of it... with a name like Chill, the plan is to make it into my new winter commuter, so I'm glad I'll be easier to see when the sun starts to go down before 5pm. Will send updates when it's done!

I will probably post this in a separate forum to help with the ID, but I'm still curious about the bike. It's got a Shimano Altus groupset and the serial number is RD687309. According to this website, I've learned the following:
R = Built in Canada (if the stickers weren't enough)
D = March
6 = 1996... probably -- based on the style. I guess it could be 1986?

The rest of the numbers are a mystery to me and I can't seem to find any others like it by Googling... If you have any ideas or suggestions for where to post, let me know!

Cool paint! 1996 maybe, but definitely not an '86 not unless they replaced some components. There was no Altus in '86. Are those gripshifters? They didn't have those in '86 either. You should take a nightime pic when you're done with the build. Would love to see the reflective paint in action!