Old 10-19-23, 12:58 PM
work4bike

Liked 1,088 Times in 822 Posts
Originally Posted by njkayaker
The driver wasn't scanning to their left. They were in an empty parking lot (no cars) and "let down their guard".

No one would have really expected a cyclist to pop-out of the trees there. It's not like there was a road/path/sidewalk that might have given a hint somebody coming from there was possible. There was a break in the trees that the cyclist came through. So. there was some possible hint (but not a very good one).

Still, the cyclist was visible for quite a while. So, clearly, the driver wasn't looking that way. (Maybe, they were looking toward their right?)

The cyclist also had ample time to see the car.
I'm not totally letting the kid (11-years old) off the hook. However, the bulk of the fault goes to the adult and that's before factoring in that she left the scene.

The driver didn't have to be scanning to the left. If you look at the video at the 47-second point and allow it to go forward from there, the kid first enters the parking lot at about the 50-second point. At the time the cyclist was directly in front of the driver, because the driver had not even completed her right turn and was facing the kid. And if you allow the video to roll from the 50-second point you see that the kid was directly in line with the car, i.e. fully visible.

I'm kind of curious how many feet was traveled in this time span from the 47-second point until the impact at the 52-second point.