View Single Post
Old 10-19-23, 07:59 PM
88ss

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked 118 Times in 55 Posts
My latest bike build.....

A friend gave me this Nishiki as a bare frameset a year or two ago and it has been hanging in the garage waiting for it's fate. Also over the last few years I had collected some other parts including a no-name vintage fixed rear hub, a couple of 700c alloy wheels and the very few other parts the bike would need, so I put the fixed hub into the rear wheel, bought a 1/8" chain and bolted the bike together very quickly and went riding. The bike looks to have originally been sold by the Cyclesport shop in New Jersey, and I was surprised at the quality of it's lugs and details for what I am pretty sure is a straight-gauge chromo frame. Not a super heavy frame, but not that light either compared to the known double-butted frames this size I have had in my hands. Anyway I always wanted to play with a fixed gear bike and now I have one to play with, and have been havinga lot of fun riding it around the neighborhood. The bike needs a few finishing touches such as bar-tape etc. which I will get to on some rainy day in the near future, but it is a darn good looking bike as it is in my eye. I like the little heart that used to hold up a set of shift levers for this 120mm spaced former ten-speed bike. Most all of the parts including the tires/tubes for this bike were donated to me or gotten for free, so the total outlay so far for as it sits is no more than $50. Not sure what make the rear hub is, but it must be older as it has the old style adjustable bearings, not sealed units, which I like better anyway.

Last edited by 88ss; 10-19-23 at 08:03 PM.
Likes For 88ss: