View Single Post
Old 10-25-23, 05:02 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3521 Post(s)
Liked 1,497 Times in 1,169 Posts
Originally Posted by Rick
I have been looking at some of the USB chargers and most put out 1 amp. The new edelux setup coming out in the spring of 2024 is saying 1.5 amp 7.5 wats. The forumslader V6 says 3 amp. and you would be able to run a phone with high resolution screen. Because I like to get early starts before sunup I am more interested in powering a powerful headlight from the dino hub. The new Bush&Muller high beam dino headlight that comes out sometime in 2024 looks like it might be the better light. Add the forumslader and this might be doable.
Gauvins on this forum used to use a Forumslader, not sure which version. There are probably some old posts here that describe his experience with it. If I recall correctly, he could feel the extra drag on the wheel when he was charging something.

I used to use a Sinewave Revolution when touring, still have it, it is on my rando bike now.

The Cycle2Charge V3 puts out roughly 50 percent more power than the Sinewave Revolution, bought the Cycle2Charge a year ago. Tried it on my Natchez Trace tour this past April Found it to work much better in flatter terrain because it would stay on, but in steeper hilly terrain the Cycle2Charge sometimes shuts off when my speed dipped below about 7 mph. I did not get much power out of it when going up and down repeatedly small hills, 4 or 5 minutes up a hill and down for a minute or 2, all day long did not put out much power by the end of the day. But, I was self sufficient for the tour with just dynohub power.

Taillights are on NiMH rechargeable AAA batteries, charge them up once a week on the powerbank.

​​​Touring, I wait for enough light to see in the morning, do not need a headlight. When I tour on my S&S coupled bike, I no longer even install a headlight on the bike when touring on it. But I have a headlight in my handlebar bag that can run off a powerbank, just in case I need it for a tunnel or a trip to the pub in the evening.

Photo below, riding towards sunrise behind my touring partner in the fog, this was the earliest I ever started in the morning. That was in Everglades National Park, we wanted to start early to avoid the worst of the heat. Both my taillights were on flash mode.