Old 10-26-23, 06:32 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Liked 1,931 Times in 1,162 Posts
I just patched a RideNow 38g two weeks ago with Park self adhesive, doing nothing other than wiping the area with alcohol before applying patch. So far so good. I have Lezyne selfr-ahesive patched Aerothan tubes approaching 2 years without failure.

I have not used traditional cemented patches for over a decade, probably approaching two, as I’ve always had fine luck with self-adhesive, including on butyl. I have not had need to patch roadside since, well, I can’t remember, so I always do proper prep at home.

Insofar as I can tell from my experience, there are only downsides to using cemented patches, particularly in terms of time wasted and not having glue when you need it.

Self adhesive are always ready to go, and vastly superior (assuming one practices proper prep and application).

EDIT: I should add that the thin, supple Lezyne self adhesive are the best I’ve ever used, as I have had failures with Park. I just bought some Pax branded ones off Amazon thinking they might be like the Lezyne, but they are thicker and seem to be different material. I’ve not used yet, so no report on performance. Get Lezyne self-adhesive is my advice.

Last edited by chaadster; 10-26-23 at 06:38 AM.