View Single Post
Old 10-31-23, 10:45 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6269 Post(s)
Liked 4,297 Times in 2,406 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
You and cycco seem to think I am trying to speak for everyone. I am not. I have not claimed or implied that I am speaking for everyone.
Oh, really? Is this not you?

- Knowing what is coming behind you is of little value. Ride predictably and visibly and traffic will pass. Using a mirror to notice there could be an issue when a car is mere feet behind you is likely not helpful.
Although I’ve never heard of it but you seem to be using the royal “you”. If you had said “Knowing what is coming behind me is of little value,” I don’t think anyone would have a problem with that. But you are implying that the rest of us don’t need mirrors. To go on and say that you use something that looks back the same way a mirror does while tell the rest of us we don’t need the same thing smacks of “do what I say, not what I do”. While I can’t speak directly for everyone else, I’m reasonable certain that those of us who use mirrors (or even radar) do so for reasons that we find…what’s that work again…oh, yeah…value.

As for my use of a Varia radar, I cited the main way in which I find it useful. That use case makes it worthwhile to me.
On roads, I will sometimes glance back as I see cars are approaching on my head unit, but I also trust that I am safe due to being visible and predictable.
Do you really not understand what the objections to your arguments are? Do you not see the hypocrisy in your statements?

I cited my main reason for using a Varia. I will repeat it in a different way- I find value in it because I am not doing the 2 things I have mentioned in this thread which are best to do.
When riding on geavel roads, I am continually moving around to select the best line. As a result, I am not riding predictably. There is sometimes dust which reduces visibility. Furthermore, wind and surface noise makes it difficult to hear what's behind me.

All that adds up to make the radar helpful. If I rode on pavement only and rode predictably with good visibility, I likely wouldn't have the Varia.
I’ve ridden tens of thousands of dirt roads long before gravel was a thing. I’ve worn a mirror on my glasses or, later, on a helmet for every ride I’ve done…pavement, mountain, or dirt…since the 80s. I also ride predictably every where I ride. I know a few things about wind and surface noise and dust. I also know things about riding in traffic. I will continue to use a mirror in all those situations for the very same reasons you do…even if you say otherwise.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!