View Single Post
Old 11-01-23, 08:23 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6286 Post(s)
Liked 4,329 Times in 2,425 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
Oh sweetie, stop with this.
No.

All of it is my opinion and I am not speaking for everyone else. When I say 'knowing what's coming behind you is of little value', that is clearly my opinion.

If you couldn't realize it was my opinion, that's a you issue. You have already said you have been intentionally obtuse in how you read my comments here. Not much reason to continue if you aren't willing to bring your intelligence to the discussion ND instead want to be obtuse and try to play 'gotcha'.
I don’t have to play “gotcha”. You already did that yourself by stating that you don’t think mirrors have a value for you personally and then state that you use a high tech mirror because you feel you need one. You can’t even agree with yourself. How are the rest of us supposed to know what you think.

Originally Posted by mstateglfr
Using 'you' is actually me projecting my view onto the situation of others.
Again, I am not speaking for others. I was speaking for myself about what I think the benefit, or lack of, for others.

You disagree with my view? Cool, I accept that. It's an opinion and a controversial one on the general forum of BF. I am not surprised my comments aren't fully embraced because I am not speaking for everyone, therefore I don't expect unanimous agreement.

Once more to clear up what I have posted so far in this thread- it is my personal view that seeing what's coming up behind you is of little value in most road riding situations. Some situations?...sure. I even listed a situation for myself. But for just riding on paved roads?...very rarely. The OP pointed out another instance where its beneficial and I agreed(though it could also be solved with a Varia and not a mirror).

The real issue is a lack of ability to turn one's head and look to see at the traffic situation. Mirrors, like the Varia, are great for seeing most traffic, but there are blind spots and to be fully aware of traffic a physical turn and look back is best. That's a rough situation to have to deal with.

As for the Milwaukee Slide, noted. You have to launch yourself off your bike so frequently that a cute term has even been coined. Pretty sure I would start playing pickleball if I had to ride in those conditions. Doesn't sound fun.
You keep saying that you agree with sacr about mirrors for the situation of having a stiff neck and/or limited neck mobility but I can’t seem to find where you actually stated that. Your opinion that mirrors are useless for you is just fine. But can’t you see that others might have similar reasons and situations where they might need a mirror?

And yet again we have you telling us that you don’t think a mirror is useful unless it’s for your specific situation. Can’t you see the problem here? Haven’t you dug yourself a pretty deep hole there, sweetie?
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Likes For cyccommute: