View Single Post
Old 11-03-23, 10:13 AM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 131 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4867 Post(s)
Liked 4,027 Times in 2,614 Posts
Originally Posted by FBinNY
They're nice rims and a steal at $50/pr. For general sport riding on decent roads they'll be fine even at your weight. The tire width limitation doesn't matter because your frame clearance is what's actually setting the limit.

If I were building them up, I'd use 2.0/1.8mm DB spokes on the right rear, and something thinner on the left, ie. anything with a 1.6mm thin section, with either 2.0 or 1.8mm ends. The front can be built with the lighter spokes since it's usually the same length as left rear. That saves both weight and money.

Resist the temptation to go heavier because that raises the minimum tension, and doing so on the left rear may force you to go crazy high on the right. FWIW, I very strongly believe that most or all the issues people have with Open Pros is due to excess tension. However, you may prefer to use so called triple butted 2.3/1.8/2.0mm spokes on the right rear. Since the major length is still 1.8mm minimum tension is the same.

Build them carefully, and if you don't crash these wheels could outlast you.
+1 I kept my post above simple but what you suggest is exactly what I've done for a bunch of Open Pros. (Never went 2.3 but at my weight and riding style, I'll negver need to.)