Old 11-04-23, 05:26 AM
spclark 

Bikes: 1972 Motobecane Grand Record, 2022 Kona Dew+

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 168 Post(s)
Liked 153 Times in 114 Posts
Originally Posted by bark_eater
My experience so far is that anodizing gets "foggy" in my cleaner. I'm using dawn soap and hot water. I haven't done much experimenting to see if I can reduce the problem.
Try using distilled water instead of tap water, hot or cold. Your piped-in water may be alkaline enough to be causing the fog.

Taking a tangent off this thread I'd like to see pics of ultrasonics large enough to do an assembled 11-speed cassette or a 78 rpm phonodisc, maybe with links to where they're being sold?

I have a smallish one made by Kendall, takes about a quart of liquid, a major PITA to clean 'cause the tray's integral with the chassis. There's a plastic basket for stuff being dunked so all the crud that comes off parts ends up settling out into the bottom of the tray. My go-to solution is tap water and Dawn too.

Avoid acetone whenever you can (or lacquer thinner) and use proper PPE and an abundance of caution if you do; they're both nasty and way too flammable for casual purposes. Most assuredly NEITHER is appropriate for use in any ultrasonic device!

Last edited by spclark; 11-04-23 at 05:31 AM.