View Single Post
Old 11-04-23, 10:26 AM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5982 Post(s)
Liked 2,907 Times in 1,614 Posts
Reading the posts here about the need for using tensiometers to achieve even tension reminds me of the joke about the Kenyan on a bus in Brooklyn.

Short version --- he's on the bus, banging two sticks together. Asked why he says it keeps the lions away. Told there's no lions there, he replies, "see, it works".

IIRC using tension meters this way started with the Barnett Bike School, and the only result is that it's sold countless tensionmeters, and we can have pointless arguments about which is best. (does pine or oak to deter lions better?).

It's a nice long way to solve non-existant problem easily managed reliably and quickly other ways.

Sadly, there are also arguments raised placing tools over skill. FWIW, a skilled craftsman will turn out good work despite not having every conceivable tool. OTOH, use of fancy tools won't magically guaranty good outcomes.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Likes For FBinNY: