View Single Post
Old 11-09-23, 07:20 PM
mschwett 

Bikes: addict, aethos, creo, vanmoof, sirrus, public ...

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1287 Post(s)
Liked 1,419 Times in 720 Posts
Originally Posted by yannisg
I'm trying to reduce my PVC that occur on some rides.
A long warmup at a moderate pace seems to reduced the appearance of the PVCs
At the start of my usual ride, I have to go over a bridge with a 3% incline. If I keep my HR<120 I do not experience any PVC and my HR drops to 76 bpm on the bridge descent which is normal.
If I ride harder 140-145 bpm on the bridge ascent the PVC start and on the descent they remain at 125-128 bmp which is the frequency of the PVCs.
In the event, that the PVCs have started they remain even during the 45 min flat section after the bridge.
In the case where they have not started the HR is normal at 105-115 during the same flat section.
If the PVC start they remain for the rest of the ride (3 hours).
Once the ride has finished they remain for 2 to 3 hours before they disappear.
The Garmin measures the PVC bpm, but the frequency of the PVC occurance is roughly estimated by feeling the pulse every 5 to 10 bpm.
I have read that the occurance of the PVCs during training are "safe", but if they occur during the recovery they need further examination.

If anyone has had a similar situation any feedback is appreciated.
the rapid changes in heart rate - in either direction - can increase arrythmia, but what you're describing are not isolated PVCs, bigeminy, or trigeminy. if your heart rate on an unpowered descent is remaining at 125 and is essentially continuous PVCs, you're actually in stable ventricular tachycardia. you will find many different opinions about the risk and meaning of lots of PVCs from various doctors, and you shouldn't get medical advice from random people on the internet, but what you're describing sounds worrisome to me (i have a heart rhythm condition and have had lots of various types of arryhthmia) and would merit a visit to an electrophysiologist. they can do an exercise stress test to determine exactly what your rhythm is, and how dangerous it may or may not be.

there are a number of antiarrythmic drugs which can be very effective at eliminating PVCs depending on the cause.