Old 11-14-23, 06:16 AM
Jughed

Bikes: Lemond Zurich/Trek ALR/Giant TCX/Sette CX1

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 628 Post(s)
Liked 934 Times in 465 Posts
Originally Posted by Kai Winters
I generally use w/kg as a stock measurement of my performance.
Some of my numbers this year: Back in Jan in a Zwift Racing League B race I averaged 3.6 w/kg or 230 watts avg/230 watts np. Also marked 3.7 w/kg for 20 minutes.
My best 15 second power was 8.7 w/kg in March Zwift event.
While not particularly impressive considering I'm 68, 5'4" and 63.5kg/140lbs I'll take it...for now lol.

This is a great topic for discussion regardless of age or ability...using numbers/data to monitor fitness, physical well being, the need to rest and recover, etc. is a great way to go imo.

This is a great topic. And some of it leaves me confused...

VO2 is a great predictor of health, longevity, fitness... but there has to be some grey zones in the numbers. Same with judging "fitness" in w/kg. Cycling fitness, yes, but in terms of overall fitness- that number may be lacking.

VO2 is heavily influenced by weight. Ones cycling engine - heart, lungs, legs - could be just as strong as another's, but VO2 max could be a good bit lower due to the non cycling bits - like a strong upper body with some muscle mass. Lean mass outside of cycling specific lean mass skews the "fitness" numbers lower.

(If) I could lose the extra 20#'s of lean upper body mass that I carry - my VO2 would go up, my w/kg would go up - but would I really be more fit overall? Would I be a better cyclist - yes, but would I be better in terms of overall health and well being?