View Single Post
Old 11-15-23, 01:52 PM
Alan K

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 472 Post(s)
Liked 333 Times in 259 Posts
Originally Posted by pepperbelly
I am not sure what renal and liver function tests are. I get a lipid panel and other bloodwork as scheduled- twice a year? My cardiologist sees me every 6 months. He watches my lipids in addition to my heart.
Lipids and cardiac function monitoring is very important.
Liver function tests include checking levels of a few liver enzymes in blood. Liver cells are constantly renewed normally and consequently, these enzymes appear in blood. However, under normal conditions their levels are low (well known, though each lab may have their low/limits, depending on the techniques and reagents they use). If and when, the liver is overtaxed, more liver cells end up dying and the levels of these enzymes will go higher in blood and used as an indicator of liver degeneration. Fortunately, liver has the capacity to regenerate rapidly and there is no need for concern, provided the abuse to organ is minimized or mitigated. This is why, I had cautioned you to have your physician keep you under a close watch. The situation with your kidneys’ health is not identical but monitoring its function is quite easy. Kidneys, unlike liver, are not capable of regenerating. If for any reason, their function is impaired, usually the best one can do is to prevent further deterioration.
Take care.
Likes For Alan K: