View Single Post
Old 11-18-23, 10:43 AM
RoadWearier

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 407 Post(s)
Liked 118 Times in 82 Posts
Originally Posted by abdon
Depends. To me it isn't because it is a buyer's market so I just wait for something better to pop up at that price. For somebody looking for practical transportation they could do a lot worse and in fact could not do much of anything at the bike shop. They probably don't even have a bike for $125.

Mind you, my "doing better" would probably be a bike in worse shape. My "better" means vintage over ready to ride condition. So you have to define what is you are trying to fulfill before we can talk about worth
I don't even own a bike stand. I have done and can do the basic maintenance one can do on a vintage bike with standard non-bike tools. That's the main reason why I like older lower level bikes. They were built to be ridden and could be maintained at home with little more than a set of wrenches, pliers, a screw driver and maybe a set of hex wrenches on rare occasions. I dont want to have to do a complete teardown but don't mind cleaning and adjusting. But the less of those things I have to do, the better. The Raleigh I just sold weighed in at a hefty 32lbs so I'd like something a little lighter. Hoping to find either a Chromoly/aluminum frame and aluminum wheels and maybe closer to 26 lbs.