Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3919 Post(s)
Liked 1,982 Times in 1,414 Posts
Originally Posted by Kai Winters
Bah ! ! ! I don't pay any attention to this bull sh.t. Most are scammers trying to sell you their product or new and revolutionary training system "guaranteed" to work wonders in only 7 days. Others are using decades old and generations outdated methods that aren't viable anymore.
I'm 68 and my muscle mass is nearly the same and actually better than it was decades ago when I was a cat 3 senior...Mainly because I'm retired and have lots more leisure time which I use to participate in yoga twice weekly, free weights on a nearly daily basis and ride 6 days per week with a training plan.
My diet is better and my sleep certainly is better and I seldom use an alarm and wake when my body says I've had enough sleep.
My generation, in general...those that are more or less like my above lifestyle...is likely the healthiest of all preceding generations.
It is all about 'life style'. I regularly see guys decades younger than me with huge guts overhanging their bellies, smoking ****, drinking excessively and looking far older and worn than I look or especially act...they can't walk a block without panting lol...poor, useless sods.
We may not be in the vast majority but we will generally outlast many and that is all I care about...living well and outlasting all the fools...
I confess to not even watching the video. Why would I do that? Late's quote, presumably from the video, is right on, I would say. We are all outliers, not normal. I don't know anyone my age not involved in an endurance sport who has anything close to my body comp and who can do what I do.

Today, I happened to go for my first hilly day hike in over a year. Six miles and it went just fine. I'll be a little sore tomorrow, so I'll do some fastpedal on my rollers to keep the healing going. Rode 30 miles on our tandem yesterday, hills up to 14%, no problem, and I'm a heart patient now. Not that I'm some wonder, I just never quit doing what I enjoy doing, being physically active. I also haven't gone electric. I'd rather train. I also have very low gears on that tandem!

We also have close friends, among them a tandem couple about 10 years younger than we who will ride with us and do a bit of the greyhound and rabbit thing to make sure we aren't dogging it. Having friends like that is really important in our experience. Looking forward to some DH and XC skiing this winter, though hard to know if there'll be enough snow. Glad I don't own a ski area. People are up there snowshoeing today though. We also snowshoe.