View Single Post
Old 11-27-23, 04:09 PM
gna
Count Orlok Member

Bikes: Raleigh Sports, Raleigh Twenty, Raleigh Wyoming, Raleigh DL1, Schwinn Winter Bike

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked 183 Times in 100 Posts
Garmin Etrex 20x

Someone has offered me a Garmin Etrex 20x for $50. They bought it for hiking but have never used it. While researching it, I came across this post:

Originally Posted by fishboat
Kind of an aside comment..and undoubtedly I'm missing something, but these threads on navigation, where people have purchased 3, 4, 5 models of various higher/high-end garmin (or other) units always amazes me a bit. (I spent my career in tech and finished it crunching large data and developing computer models of transportation systems...not afraid of new technology..)

My entire tour navigation system consists of a $12 wireless bike computer that indicates speed, ave speed, distance covered and a Garmin Etrex 20 for navigation. Routes (actually tracks) are worked out on on a laptop using RWGPS. The tracks are then downloaded, transferred to Basecamp and then loaded into the Etrex 20. I also download a kml file from RWGPS and load that into Organic Maps on my cell phone..as a backup and easier to study version to reference as needed. The phone isn't used for active navigation..sucks too much power. I'd rather have a charged phone available for other tasks it does better.

This system never fails and the Etrex lasts a long time on two AA batts.

As I said..I'm sure I'm missing something with the more..exotic..systems. If I felt to need for something more I'd dive in..hasn't happened yet.
From https://www.bikeforums.net/touring/1...ore-2-a-2.html

I currently use paper maps or routes figured out on Google maps and printed, and I use my bike computer to figure out how many miles I've gone and make my turns. I would only use my phone when I something went wrong, as I wanted to save battery power. This method sounds like it would work for me. I do have a few questions:
  • Does the Etrex 20x display where one is on the prefigured route?
  • Does the display show other roads? Say a road was closed for construction--could you figure out a different route?
  • What programs can be used to figure routes? RWGPS? or will I have to buy maps from Garmin?