View Single Post
Old 11-28-23, 04:41 PM
fishboat

Bikes: Lemond '01 Maillot Jaune, Lemond '02 Victoire, Lemond '03 Poprad, Lemond '03 Wayzata DB conv(Poprad), '79 AcerMex Windsor Carrera Professional(pur new), '88 GT Tequesta(pur new), '01 Bianchi Grizzly, 1993 Trek 970 DB conv, Trek 8900 DB conv

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 759 Post(s)
Liked 811 Times in 471 Posts
Originally Posted by gna
  • Does the Etrex 20x display where one is on the prefigured route?
  • Yes, this is the key advantage of using any GPS unit. Paper maps are great if you're tracking landmarks or roads/trail signs are available to reference within the paper map. If you have a paper map and lack a on-route reference with respect to your location..then things are a bit tougher.
  • Does the display show other roads? Say a road was closed for construction--could you figure out a different route?
  • Yes, the base map in the Etrex 20 will show roads, however the detail isn't great. I loaded an upgraded map I found on the web and it was a nice improvement. This was a few years back. If you get the unit, let me know..maybe I can reconstruct what I did. A thorough search here on Bike Forums about installing alternate maps into Garmin GPS units may help. I downloaded an higher detail/better base map from...somewhere..and imported it into Garmin basecamp, then used Basecamp to update my Etrex 20.
  • What programs can be used to figure routes? RWGPS? or will I have to buy maps from Garmin?
  • I use RWGPS primarily and on a laptop or desktop computer. Create your map and then export a track. Import the track into Basecamp and then use Basecamp to transfer it to the Etrex 20 via the cable supplied with the Etrex unit.
I've used the Etrex 20 for cycling (and kayaking and hiking) for 7+ years and it works great. You might try a search on BF for Etrex as this topic has come up before as I remember posting a photo or two with the cycling screen I use illustrated. (or search for posts my me..it's here somewhere). My basic setup is four small info screens showing (speed, moving avg speed, distance, and heading (N, S, E, W..)). There's quite a few fields you can have up..selection is your choice. With the unit attached to my handlebar, I typically ride with the screen-zoom set to 500 feet. This allows you to view your track as well as the context/map of roads coming up. You have plenty of warning of when to and where to turn. The track itself is easy to see.

$50 for an Etrex 20..seems reasonable to me.

As an aside..with each track I load into the Etrex, I also use RWGPS to export a KML format file. On your smart phone, install an app called "Organic Maps". Then download a map within Organic Maps of any area you'll be riding in(the map downloads are by state, or sections of a state, or in some cases large city files). This app will give you a very good and reliable off-line map on your phone. I've found it to be very accurate and it has a SURPRISINGLY large and accurate amount of hiking trails also included. Email the exported KML to yourself. Open(not download) the KML file on your phone and you'll get a dialogue screen asking whether you want to use Organic Maps to open it. Click yes. The KML file (track) will now be installed in your Organic Maps library. If you need to re-route while riding, then use your phone to do so. Organic Maps will have all the local roads wherever you are and it also has a routing function(much like Google Maps) if you need it.