View Single Post
Old 11-29-23, 09:14 AM
ofajen
Cheerfully low end

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 646 Post(s)
Liked 1,051 Times in 670 Posts
As most would agree, I’m not one who has been reluctant to post here, and I don’t feel looked down upon due to any aspects of my cycling.

My approach is similar to the others who ride mainly solo. There’s plenty going on around here still, so I try to be efficient and also to exercise in a way that suits me. I like having my own thoughts or lack thereof and riding the route I want to ride, when I want to, and at my pace. I also want to do all the work.

I’ve pretty much always exercised regularly. About seven years ago, one of the kids got interested in biking and so I started biking again more.

Up until a year ago, I had been a 200 days/4000 miles a year rider. When I changed to wearing minimal shoes, the option to run more opened up and I’ve been running at least as much as cycling.

At this point, I am actually using a training program meant for someone who runs 5K races and wants to transition to running 10K races. I don’t actually plan to race, but I do want to run for similar times to what I ride (60-90 minutes) and have that be normal and sustainable.

Running is more practical under my time constraints and particularly during the colder, wetter, darker half of the year that is also my heavier workload. I have to move, so I either ride outdoors, run outdoors or run inside at the red center. I don’t do treadmills or cycle trainers.

So for the moment, cycling is something that could fit under one of two “cross training” days if the timing, weather and conditions permit.

I’m actually quite happy with my bike these days and it’s clear that my favorite is to ride my old single speed MTB on our excellent MUP trails system.

Once we get to the lighter, warmer half of the year, I imagine I’ll be cycling several times a week again.

Otto