View Single Post
Old 11-30-23, 08:49 PM
Alan K

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 472 Post(s)
Liked 333 Times in 259 Posts
Originally Posted by unterhausen
They are expensive, but Ecohitch is the main source for 2" hitches for small cars. I have one for my Prius. I wish they made one for our Camry.
Here's the one for the 2006 Civic https://torkliftcentral.com/2006-201...civic-ecohitch

I'm not sure I really understand why 2" hitches are so hard to find for small cars. The 1 1/4" hitches have the same ratings. People are going to overload their cars no matter what hitch they get. They will overload any vehicle, especially big pickup trucks.
That is not necessarily true.
For starters, hitch rating obviously needs to significantly greater than the capacity of automobile to pull safely, when done correctly. Generally speaking, 1 1/4” hitches are used for smaller cars and they can be tucked under them in a way so remain almost invisible. But their maximum capacity is not going to match 2” hitches that reach or exceed 8,000 lb. [One of friend’s truck is rated to pull upwards of 10,000 lb - I highly doubt a 1 1/4 “ hitch exists for such loads.]
Now as to why, you may have tangentially already answered your question… people are going to overload… Perhaps the standards exist to keep fools from harming themselves. 😉