View Single Post
Old 12-01-23, 08:14 PM
niliraga 

Bikes: 1970s Coppi/Fiorelli beater, 1973 Raleigh Competition, 1972 Bob Jackson, 1970 Cilo Sprint-X, 1985 Fuji Touring Series IV, 1969 Legnano Roma

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked 199 Times in 130 Posts
Originally Posted by amerikaner
Just finished a full tear down to bare frame. It's a little dirty and greasy, but not too bad. So good news first:
  • Not too much rust (considering it came from Oregon)
  • Nothing was stuck and all came off without too much effort
  • Steerer tube was stamed Reynolds 531
  • No other dents
  • Got some better pics of the serial number
Bad News (from least to worst):
  1. Few more scratches, paint bubbles and spidering (not too bad)
  2. Slight bend in left seat stay (minor, I've straightend worse bends)
  3. Crack in paint and possibily brazing around left seat stay/brake bridge (doesn't go all the way around)
  4. Incorrect bolt used for seat tube clamp...different threading, so stripped original threads
Pictures below...

The bolt that was in there to left compared to a proper bolt from another bike upper right.
Reviving an old thread because I'm trying to rescue a ratty '81 710 frame, and I've just pulled EXACTLY the same bolt out of the seat binder.

None of my SAE or Metric allen keys will fit -- it's somewhere around a 4.5mm -- and the odd thing, relative to John's long-ago comment above, is that a standard M6 head definitely does not fit into the binder receptacle. So a regular M6 surely can't have been the normal bolt for this, even if this weird black thing is also wrong.

anyone with any clues?