Old 12-03-23, 10:08 AM
Biker395 
Seat Sniffer

Bikes: Serotta Legend Ti; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 951 Post(s)
Liked 2,050 Times in 582 Posts
Originally Posted by Trav1s
I know nothing about the original poster's age but make this response in light of the time I have worked with aging people and a significant stint working in hospice...

Cognitive decline is real and shows up in subtle ways that most people miss. I wonder how gradual loss of depth perception and peripheral vision might be at play. I've watched hours of training on this subject and found Teepa Snow's work to be fascinating and insightful. I'm inclined to believe that sensory decline causes us to miss things that we would have noticed and ignored or managed differently in our younger years. Add in slower response to our observations and it compounds the challenges.
I think this is absolutely true. I had a nasty crash about 4 years ago. I have no idea how it happened, as I got a TBI and have no memory of it whatsoever. A good samaritan saw me on the side of the road and brought me to the hospital, and he speculated that I hit a rather large chunk of rock that was in the road (I still have the rock), but I can't help wondering how I could have missed it. If the location of the crash is correct, I could not have been going that fast, as it was a slight incline.

There is one explanation: Slight cognitive decline that I haven't noticed.