Old 12-03-23, 11:22 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2680 Post(s)
Liked 5,915 Times in 3,039 Posts
Talking about not being mentally ‘with it’; I had a rather sobering experience a few weeks back on a totally flat road. Worse yet, I have ridden it a few hundred times as it’s my main arterial to gain access to several other roads. Anywho, this road has a series of 15 and 20 MPH hairpin turns which I always just cruise though after setting up. This one time, I had breezed through the first right hander and rode another 100 yards to the second and just started the second and I failed to setup for the turn and just blew straight ahead and hit the brakes before going off the other side of the road. WTF happened in that instant? Don’t recall what I was thinking about, just being shocked at blowing it. If I had gone off the road into the brush, it would have been a very low speed, uneventful crash. Have been through that set of turns about 5 times since and you better believe I snap to attention.

As a result, I am now hyper-aware on fast downhill curves to set up the corner correctly and get my weighting correct. Just hoping that I don’t space-out again in less accommodating circumstances.