Old 12-05-23, 08:01 AM
dschad

Bikes: 1986 Schwinn Voyageur, SWB home-built recumbent and a couple other uninteresting ones.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 47 Times in 26 Posts
Originally Posted by bulgie
Without doing any measurements or even looking at one, from memory, that sounds potentially do-able. The male thread on the available inserts is kinda large (M10 on Paragon's inserts, maybe everyones?), so there may not be enough room under a regular canti braze-on for the size of nut you'll need. But if you just hold an insert up to a braze-on, you can probably tell at a glance whether it's going to work. Some brands of canti braze-on are bigger than others, so maybe with the right braze-on?

Although you might just skip the canti braze-on, and weld the nut right to the stay or forkblade. Maybe with a gusset if it needs more offset (like if the stays are too wide for example), or just more strength/stiffness.

I like the idea. Please send us pics if you make it.
I was wondering about the stud size, and I did come across titanium bosses (female) from Paragon Machine Works in CA. These are M10x1.5, so you can buy them.

For a general stud search, it seems like there is some variability, with most being M10 with 1.0 or 1.25 pitch. A couple M8 came up also.

I have an older stud, and I believe that by the time you finished filing the M10 nut to fit on the back of the stud, you would have two half-nuts.

Sounds like making something up will be the approach. I will post the results, but we are a ways away from that.

Thanks.
Don