View Single Post
Old 12-07-23, 08:12 AM
Crankycrank

Liked 1,215 Times in 838 Posts
Originally Posted by TC1
What kind of quick links do you use? Shimano and 10+ speed SRAM links are not reusable, and some are quite pricey ( for as simple as they are ). ~$12 for a new link each time you clean your chain would not be considered "cheap", by most.

There's no way that I would repeatedly reuse a critical part that the maker identifies as non-reusable, when the alternative is as easy as clamping on a cleaner and spinning the pedals a few times, but YMMV.
I have used Shimano 10-11sp, KMC 10sp and Connex 10sp quicklinks and labled "single use". Each of the 10sp versions I have used up to 10k miles on 2 different chains, the 11sp is on a neighbors bike for maybe 3k miles and has been removed replaced at least 2 times while mine were r/r at least every 500 miles so that's around 20 times. I like to actually test these recommendations out for myself sometimes just to see how long they actually last and find that they stay locked tight enough to not worry but when the pins start to show some wear grooves, I toss them. Never had a failure. I see most (but not all) failures are probably from user error where the links were not locked together properly. I have no experience with SRAM or others so can't vouch for them. Most chains these days come with quicklinks so no need to always have to buy one separately. Some people prefer the on-bike cleaners so use what works best for you but some of us prefer the remove and soak method.