Old 12-09-23, 03:06 PM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3946 Post(s)
Liked 4,949 Times in 2,281 Posts
Originally Posted by daka
In trying to find an engineering term that might match Heine's description of "planing" (which I think was a poor choice of terms, at least from a marine perspective), the closest thing I could fathom was constructive resonance. In design we went to great lengths to avoid that since it can give results like the disintegration of the Tacoma Narrows Bridge but musical instruments use it to great advantage. However, the forces that "excite" the structure, in this case the bicycle, have frequency and amplitude which I think are going to vary from rider to rider based on how strong they are and their preferred cadence. That would imply that a bike that works well for one rider may not please another since while it may achieve a constructive resonance for one it may just feel dead to another.

But again, many variables in achieving the mythical 'constructive resonance' of a frame contributing to a 'better' ride. Tire and pressure are a huge influence, ie, fat tire/low pressure kills frame characteristics. Rider characteristics, cadence, smooth spin each make a difference.

Sometimes when on a long steady straight paved trail - I'm feeling in the groove, on tubular 25mms @105psi - everything in sync, the lugged steel bike in 'harmony' with rider for efficient performance - then I make a turn and realize - that slight tailwind might have contributed more than constructive resonance planing. .

Last edited by Wildwood; 12-09-23 at 03:10 PM.