Old 12-11-23, 04:08 PM
dschad

Bikes: Converted mid-80's Shogun 500 for the perfect bike! 1986 Schwinn Voyageur, SWB home-built recumbent and a couple other uninteresting ones.

Liked 48 Times in 27 Posts
Originally Posted by duanedr
My learning experience was when I was asked to make some bikes for a local track program. They wanted really small bikes (46-47cm) but the kids didn't like the current bikes with 26" 'Kids' wheels, so the velodrome insisted on 700c. The compromises were significant and I have heard from adults that they ride funny. Any time a 6 footer rides a size 47cm track bike, they are likely going to say it rides funny but, the point remains there were too many compromises and I learned my lesson. Go with 650b wheels. There are many great options for wheels and tires for 650b so no reason to not use that and gain a couple cm of clearance.
So you *had* to bring up 650b...I did consider this, and I like the idea in principle, but I was generally discounting it because my research (internetting) I am not finding many options for rim brake rims. Disc seems to be plentiful thanks to MTBs, but the rim brake, touring selection seems to be limited to $30 Wiennmans, which people aren't too impressed with as far as I can tell, or $100 VO ones. And one aero rim which isn't my style for sure. Makes me worry that they won't be any in another few years.

That said, in terms of the measurements, these definitely work. The 650bx40 and 26x2 have the same OD, so I could go skinny without changing the sizing much. The skinnies on a 26x1.5s start to look a bit dinky.

Am I overly concerned about the demise of the rim-brake 650b?