Old 12-24-23, 01:02 AM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2512 Post(s)
Liked 750 Times in 530 Posts
Originally Posted by Alan K
I’m not sure what rules exist in the area where the OP bicycles but in our area, your statement is incorrect. On all city roads bicycles are supposed to be treated no different than motor cycles or cars and bicyclists are required to follow the very same rules as drivers.
In fact, by scooting over to the edge of the lane, you make yourself less visible to others and far more prone to be nailed by someone who may be ready to open his car door. On state highways where speed is 55 MPH, I don’t think bicycles are allowed [[b]in NV they very well might be] but I still see them periodically where they tend to use the small strip of paved area between the line and gravel to the right. I personally feel that these are the most dangerous roads for a bicyclist and never use them. They are single lane roads, have twists and turns, and rolling hills. There are always some careless drivers who go faster and go over the center line around a bend [[b]Over the centerline, or over the fog stripe? It matters which.]. As much fun as these roads might be to ride a bike on, I avoid them and find bike paths that are similarly enjoyable and far safer.
My statement is not incorrect. Understanding that is of great importance. Bicyclists are required to follow the very same rules as drivers is the only true part of your statement. That they can cruise in the vehicle lanes at half the speed limit posted is INCORRECT. There are bike lanes for that. No bike lane? Find one. OR ride to the right of the main lane. If you insist on playing motorcycle on a road without a bike lane you aren't going to die. But you are not going to have a good time. By the third traffic light you will have had enough harrasment and you will go find a different road if you know what is good for you. The o.p. had a bike lane on the road they were on. Were they in it? Unknown. The presence of a bike lane means that, the 45mph speed limit notwithstanding, bicycles are expected on that road. I'd ride it. But there is no way I would carry 16mph into an intersection where a vehicle was standing!

There have got to be better roads than that to put your head down and hammer on. When there are traffic signals and other vehicles going about their business is when I cover my brakes and coast through and resume pedaling on the other side. OP had parked cars to their right. There is only so far to the right they could go, so absolutely no danger of not being seen by overtaking traffic. Danger from 'dooring'. Yes, a possibility, one that in close to 50 years of hard riding has never been a real issue. I've always known how to pass by cars so even if their door should swing open I can avoid it. AND it is also very possible to ride IN the vehicle lane such that if traffic wants/needs to overtake you, they can. Safely. Ride in any city where there is are vehicular cyclists and you will see them riding to the right of the traffic stream. Never IN it, except to avoid hazards directly in their line of travel.