Old 12-27-23, 04:10 PM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3261 Post(s)
Liked 2,578 Times in 1,534 Posts
Originally Posted by davester
That's nonsense. I've been riding derailleur bicycles since the mid-60s and that has never been the case except for racers. For the few years that I raced I ran corncobs and big chainrings. The rest of the time I (and everyone else that I rode with) rode much wider range gears. That said, triples generally did not come stock so it was an expensive endeavor (just as it is now) to change out the double chainrings for a triple crankset. For that reason many of us bike tourist types used doubles with wide-range derailleurs and 14-34T freewheels to get the gears we needed.
You'd be one of the few on BF that admits it. Mostly, it's, "BITD we did those climbs with 52/42up front and 14-18 straight blocks. Maybe a 14-24 at the most. Riders these days are soft."
BTW, I posted that same question about gearing in the C & V forum a few years ago. It was in regards to racing. Most of the responses I got said it was easier and cheaper to just take off the crankset and change a chainring/chainrings rather than having to carry the tools and an extra freewheel or two. I wouldn't know, but that's the responses I got.

Last edited by seypat; 12-27-23 at 04:39 PM.