cyclezen
OM boy

Bikes: a bunch

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 545 Post(s)
Liked 690 Times in 462 Posts
Originally Posted by john m flores
I've always thought that introverts (and only children) are overrepresented in the riding community, as it does not require teammates like most of the major ball sports.
Not sure if we're over-represented, but cycling does suit being an introvert, or just prefer reliance on 'self' as do many other activities which are also 'singular'. Cycling is one of those activities for which you are 'singular', even in a group.
Not a dig, but some of the difficult aspects of team sports/activities is that not everyone may not be on the same 'page' when it comes to objective, method or commitment, which can create frustration and contention. A hard thing to find a balance for both the 'group' as well as the individual in the group.
As with most all things, introvert/extrovert is rarely an on/off switch (binary). Most of us are our own unique mix of intro/extro-vert... Or so it seems to me...
With that
I ride a lot solo, but I do really like group rides as well. They challenge to not always be in my own little bubble. To adapt and adjust with the flow of the group...
like swimming (as a fish) in a school of fish, or being a starling swirling and wheeling in a murmuration... Riding in a large peloton is an amazing thing.
'Casual' can be taken a number of ways. There's 'casual' as referring to no obvious goals or destinations or method - yet that same 'casual' ride might be 'dedicated' to riding whenever possible.
Then there's 'casual' as a reference for someone without a strong drawing to cycle - take it or leave it - do it whenever...
The 'Technical' side to cycling, the 'numbers' side is much easier to post a thought, opinion or 'My How To' /method. So these types of threads/post would seem dominant true in many other activities. Posting more esoteric threads about the feeling/emotional/psychological side of cycling/riding the bike, becomes much harder to generate some common ground as a basis of discussion.
It's always great when a newer BF member becomes drawn into more involvement.
Ride On
Yuri

Last edited by cyclezen; 01-01-24 at 12:30 AM.