View Single Post
Old 01-03-24, 09:23 AM
DMC707

Bikes: Too many to list

Liked 1,127 Times in 748 Posts
I have two examples of “superbikes” in the garage although neither one is current (they are rim brake equipped and 10 speed), one Ti Litespeed Team with Camp. Record and a S-Works Roubaix with Dura Ace

I am a formerly aggressive rider who is now a fat Clyde. I feel like tailoring your bike to your riding style , and using good wheels and tires, is more important to ride quality than frame material.

For me it’s a push with those 2 examples. The Team was built with oversized for Ti tubes and doesn’t have any flex at all (also a size 53) - it’s not a pleasant riding frame set at all, but is perfect for dive bombing a corner full tilt in a criterium. Also has the low front end that was deemed necessary back then. The only thing that saves it are the lower profile box section rims.

the S-Works (size 54) is more current being the SL4 model, but still probably 9 years old - is a victim of my build spec. When it was put together I just didn’t have an appropriate carbon wheelset for it, and didn’t want to buy more “stuff” for a rim brake build. It got an older wheelset built with CXP30 rims,- heavy extruded rim with 30mm aero profile, which is not deep by modern standards but it is certainly stiff. A nice set of Specialized “Hell of the North” open tubulars rounded out the build

the point of all this is - the Litespeed rides rough, but is saved by the conservative wheel choice. The Roubaix, which is supposed to be buttery smooth, rides like an old cannondale .