View Single Post
Old 01-03-24, 10:32 AM
Tundra_Man 
The Fat Guy In The Back

Bikes: '81 Panasonic Sport, '02 Giant Boulder SE, '08 Felt S32, '10 Diamondback Insight RS, '10 Windsor Clockwork, '15 Kestrel Evoke 3.0, '19 Salsa Mukluk

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 320 Post(s)
Liked 184 Times in 118 Posts
In the summer months my bicycle commute is about 5 - 15 minutes (actual pedaling time*) longer than driving would take, depending on where I'm going that day (my work location varies.)

In the winter months, I slow down significantly and my bicycle commute ride times almost double. I find my average ride speeds decrease about 1 mph for every 10 degrees (Fahrenheit) drop in air temperature below 60. I feel like I'm working just as hard or harder, but the speeds are slower. I think it's a combination of heavier bikes, more clothing/gear and the fact that my body just isn't as efficient in winter temps, especially once the temps hit single digits or lower. Also a fresh snowfall before the plows run can easily turn a typical 20 minute easy summer commute distance into an hour and a half suffer-fest.

* One thing that our statements of bicycle commuting times rarely factor in is the time it takes to change clothes before and/or after the commute. With a car I can just walk out to the garage or parking lot and go, and then arrive at my destination and not have to change attire again. With a bike I need at least 10 minutes on either end to get into more cycling-friendly clothing.