View Single Post
Old 01-03-24, 11:17 AM
digger

Mentioned: 213 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1296 Post(s)
Liked 159 Times in 133 Posts
Originally Posted by Robvolz
I will say we (all three co-ops I help out) have a strict policy of not undercutting the LBSs for consumables. We want and get the support from the other shops.

Not to mention take some burden off them. Example, some fellow on a 80's department store bike has needs but no money and that part new is worth more than his steed . . .

"Head to the local co-op" they say, where bins of parts for cheap (or a sweep of the floor if that's all you got) is available. Plus we will hand you the tool for the swap.

Anyway, my point is; we don't ever undercut the locals and they appreciate it.
That's good, not undercutting the shops in order to keep their support, I wholeheartedly agree, but I'm wondering if you're responding to my post above, and if yes, how does that apply to the community shop I volunteer for and the purchase of consumables?

As I stated, the nearest bike shop is 65km away and although a very good shop (I take my bikes their exclusively) they do charge $75(CAD)/hour and for advanced level work they charge $90/hour. Many people who own entry level or department store type bikes won't pay that, nor should they for a bike worth $50 - $200 on top of the 130km round trip. I purchase these consumables for the shop I volunteer for and charge the customer the same I paid for the part, but I ask they donate to The Deanery for my time and I have a list of suggested donations based on the work required.

The Deanery is not in competition with the 'real' bike shops, in fact, I feel we try and work together. Here is what the owner of that same bike shop I visit said to me when I had asked for some advice on purchasing some tools. I later dropped $700 on tool purchase when a local counsellor donated $1,000 to the Bike Hub.

Hey Doug

Congrats on your retirement! Well deserved and hope you are taking some time to ride your bikes too!

Kudos to you for volunteering, without you and other like minded people who volunteer, a lot of things would never get done. Thank your or helping out the community.

<snip of unrelated text>

Hope this helps.

Andrew xxxxxxx

Owner
He/Him

If there is a repair I am unable to do, or one that I am unsure of how to fix, or one that I should not touch because I do not have the proper tool, then I will suggest that they visit a bike shop and I will provide them with a description of what needs to happen....or just buy a new bike.

The real goal of The Deanery, specifically the Bike Hub, is to try and change attitudes toward active transportation and exercise. If they do have a bike in the basement and they want to try and get some exercise or ride the 5km down to grandmas house instead of taking the Ford F-250 they can bring their bike to me and for really low cost get it fixed up....if I can. I have no formal training in bicycle mechanics just 30 plus years of cycling and I think I have made all the mistakes by now. :-)
Likes For digger: