View Single Post
Old 01-04-24, 01:05 AM
Jay Turberville

Bikes: 1995 Trek 990 (configured for road), Hotrodded Dahon folder, Trek 1400 (not ridden any more), Iron Horse 3.0 homebrew e-bike, 1984 Trek 770 (trying to resurrect)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked 131 Times in 80 Posts
Originally Posted by 2old
I didn't wade through the article (will someday), but think a reasonable starting point would be controller amps X battery voltage for rating power. Also, the only times any of the DD or geared hub or mid motors have ever been hot to the point that I let them cool for a minute or two was on 100 degree days when I was ascending a steep hill. This probably occurred fewer than five times in about eight years.
If you mean the continuous rating and not the peak rating, then that probably yields bike performance not overly beyond what the typical person who is told "750 watts means one horsepower" expects. Why?

Most controllers will ouptut peak power of about twice the rated power and most motors have a peak efficiency of about 80%. When pushed hard, few hub motors ever actually operate at that 80% level. They will more commonly be in the neighborhood of 70% efficiency and when the motor does actually output more than 750 watts, it generally either won't be for very long (peak 28 mph speed reached and throttle cuts out) or even result in very high speeds (going uphill can cause prolonged high outputs).

Anybody curious about such things can play around with variables on the Grin Motor Simulator.
https://ebikes.ca/tools/simulator.html