View Single Post
Old 01-05-24, 03:05 PM
Smaug1
Commuter

Bikes: Main Bikes: 2023 Trek Domane AL3, 2022 Aventon Level.2 eBike, 1972 Schwinn Varsity, 2024 Priority Apollo 11

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 320 Post(s)
Liked 460 Times in 258 Posts
Originally Posted by dayco
Just some thoughts...
E-bikes and g-bikes are never going to be for everyone. We can kill off the e-bike and g-bike experience with aggressive or unfair rules and regulations, license, plates and/or insurance. But if we do, we'll only be cheating ourselves out of some inexpensive freedom, fun and transportation. What I'm saying is, be nice, follow the Rules-of-the-Road and blend in. Then hopefully most of this anti-motorized bicycle hate will disappear.
This is well-reasoned, but assumes basic human decency. These days however, there is the "me first" selfish, entitled attitude that has pervaded most people under the age of 40 or 45. There is the belief or attitude that the roads are for cars and trucks and that cyclists don't belong; they should be thankful that someone doesn't hit them for daring to be on "their" road. I think it comes from kids not having to walk or ride bikes past the age of 16 and getting rides everywhere.

I grew up in a single car household. Even when I was old enough to drive and I was a responsible kid, I only got to take the car under extreme circumstances, after a lot of negotiating. The car was not a kid's toy, it was what allowed my mom to support the family. Therefore, I walked or rode my bike everywhere. I worked as much as I could, but it was still not enough to afford a basic car and insurance. The result is that now I have some empathy for cyclists and pedestrians that today's entitled kids don't have.
Likes For Smaug1: