View Single Post
Old 01-05-24, 10:08 PM
Jay Turberville

Bikes: 1995 Trek 990 (configured for road), Hotrodded Dahon folder, Trek 1400 (not ridden any more), Iron Horse 3.0 homebrew e-bike, 1984 Trek 770 (trying to resurrect)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked 131 Times in 80 Posts
In the '60s when I was a kid, everyone had a bicycle. But somehow I always loved riding more than most of my friends. I'd just go riding around after school. I could go three or four miles away and get home in plenty of time before being asked where I was. I could go places. Freedom. I remember wanting a ten-speed so badly I could taste it. Surely, with 10 speeds I could go way faster and way further. More places.

I finally got my Sears Free Spirit 10 speed. Someone convinced my dad that it was better than the Schwinn Varsity that I craved. On the one hand, I was thrilled. Finally a 10 speed. But it wasn't the Varsity everyone else had - and my bike shared its name with Playtex "Free Spirit" underwear. Oh well. It was an honest-to-gosh 10 speed. I drilled out the pedals and added toe clips. Now it was a racer.

With it I discovered ... the realities of wind resistance. But I could go a bit faster and a bit farther than on my coaster brake Schwinn Typhoon. Our 7th grade school science, Mr. Sears, teacher road bikes. He and a couple other teachers arranged Saturday rides. They'd take us somewhere in cars and pickup trucks with our bicycles. From there, we'd ride back to school in a group. I specifically remember going to South Mountain Park. We started by riding partly up the mountain - almost to the radio towers (finally got to really use those low gears). And then we rode all the way back to the school. That was about an 18 mile trip as a 12 or 13 year old. And back then, that had us crossing most of the Phoenix. Amazing. You could really go places with a bicycle. I figure that probably hooked me for life. Even when life pulls me away somehow, I've always found myself eventually drawn back to bicycles and cycling. I now volunteer at Bobs' Free Bikes and in the back of my mind I have the notion that maybe for some kid, getting a bike will be the spark that my 10 speed and Mr. Sears were for me - and a few more kids will get hooked.

Last edited by Jay Turberville; 01-05-24 at 10:12 PM.
Likes For Jay Turberville: