Old 01-06-24, 09:35 AM
The Golden Boy 
Extraordinary Magnitude

Bikes: 1978 Trek TX700; 1978/79 Trek 736; 1984 Specialized Stumpjumper Sport; 1984 Schwinn Voyageur SP; 1985 Trek 620; 1985 Trek 720; 1986 Trek 400 Elance; 1987 Schwinn High Sierra; 1990 Miyata 1000LT

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2612 Post(s)
Liked 1,733 Times in 948 Posts
There's all kinds of things to factor into a decision like this-

1. Purpose- what are you trying to do, and why are you doing it. If you're just trying new and different parts- derailleur changing is easy and it fun and there's zillions of choices and combinations- totally recommend playing around and learning. And "because I want to" is a totally legitimate reason. But- if you're looking to fix a problem or upgrade what you have going on- it's important to look into why you want what you want- before you drop the money into it. Which leads into....

2. Performance- I don't think there's a difference between an ARX and a V-GT Luxe. I've used V-GT, V-GT Luxe and an AR (not X). Just like all Suntour derailleurs- they work well and smooth and everything.

3. Weight- I'd guess about a horse a piece... again pretty even. These were touring derailleurs... they were meant to be as strong as they needed to be and consequently, as heavy as they needed to be. A Cyclone weighs a lot less- but it's not as bulletproof.

4. Aesthetic- this is where the difference is- IMO there's an aesthetic difference between 70s and 80s bikes. Again- IMO- a V-GT Luxe is an older looking piece but performance is right up there with the best of 'em- but the design is literally 10 years older than your bike and sort of anachronistic. If'n I were going to upgrade an 84-ish bike like yours I would be looking at a Suntour XC (not XC Pro, or XC Sport- just plain ol' XC).

I seriously don't mean to talk you out of anything- ESPECIALLY if you're doing this for science. There's really no wrong way to go about it, unless you break stuff. What better way to find out that a Superbe Pro won't work with a 28 tooth cog than to find out that you really can't get a Superbe Pro to not work on a 28T cog? . (and some people have gotten Superbe Pros to work on 28s, but not me).

Again- this is just my stupid opinion- I was trying out all kinds of long cage derailleurs with my 1985 Trek 720- Pretty much everything I could get my grubby lil paws on. There were 2 derailleurs that didn't work well for me, both Suntour- a Le Tech and a 2nd generation Mountech. Oddly, they were both triple pivot derailleurs sort of like the Duopar. The VG-T Luxe worked great- but it looked old and kind of big and blocky. Conversely the Cyclone I used was the old style- and the aesthetic didn't bother me a bit- it worked fine- but it felt so dainty. I'm not a strong rider- but that derailleur felt wrong on that bike. So then- in sheer defiance of my aversion to big and blocky and heavy- my favorite friction derailleur on that bike was a triple pulley XC. Go figure.

Suntour XC by Dave The Golden Boy, on Flickr

2nd Generation Mountech by Dave The Golden Boy, on Flickr

I don't think I have any pix of the bike with some of the other derailleurs on it- if I did, they were probably swallowed by Pee Bucket.

Suntour V-GT Luxe Rear Derailleur by Dave The Golden Boy, on Flickr

Suntour Derailleurs by Dave The Golden Boy, on Flickr

Commence to jigglin’ huh?!?!

"But hey, always love to hear from opinionated amateurs." -says some guy to Mr. Marshall.
Likes For The Golden Boy: