View Single Post
Old 01-08-24, 10:02 AM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4232 Post(s)
Liked 3,940 Times in 2,347 Posts
Can someone recommend a link that would cover this topic? I can't, but I have no surprise that there would be so few recumbent tandem disk brake install vids out there given the few of these bikes out there
Recommendations for a specific hub and adapter. I like Phil Wood hubs and don't know which of the various adapters you are talking about. Caliper to pre existing frame mount? No frame mount adapter that works off the axle and the canti boss? I would like something that will take a lot of abuse but it doesn't have to be super light or made from unicorn eyelashes. Sorry but this type of question has always made me question the understandings or expectations of the questioner? I don't want to spend much $, will abuse the product and expect it to last because it's not lightweight...
I have considered going with an internally geared hub but I don't really know anything about them. Would they stand up to the abuse inherent in touring? Many IGHs have both low gearing limitations and most are not rated for tandem use. And none want to be abused. Any recommendations for these? None that I know of
Has anyone put a "fiber chain" or belt on their bike? Yes, many have. If I could find one long enough would this be a good idea? Perhaps but that depends on both your goals and willingness to deal with the drawbacks of a belt drive. The only tandems that I have seen/serviced with belts used them for the timing "chain", not for the final drive to the rear wheel. Andy