View Single Post
Old 01-13-24, 01:55 PM
Ged117 

Bikes: 1951 Sun Wasp, 1953 Armstrong Consort, 1975 Raleigh Competition, 1980 Apollo Gran Sport, 1988 Schwinn Voyageur, Mystery MTB

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 362 Post(s)
Liked 495 Times in 194 Posts
Originally Posted by nlerner
Okay, I finished up the winter commuter. Definitely not C or V, but I’m old.

Drivetrain is a 1x8 with Shimano bar end and XTR RD. Shimano 600 crankset with an SRAM ring. Brooks C-17 because it’s waterproof. 38mm Soma tires, which will get swapped out for 35mm Schwalbe Marathon Winter studded tires once (or if) we get snow and ice here this winter. SP generator hub and B&M lamp so I don’t need to deal with charging my lighting devices. Wald basket and Nitto front rack.

I took it around the block for a test ride, and all felt very smooth. Brakes likely need some bedding in, but they work. By no means a sprightly ride, but that’s not necessary for my short urban commute.
Looks great, I like the mix of classic and modern design cues / language. My MTB with the Wald basket and Nitto rack is my first bike with that kind of set up, and its wonderfully utilitarian. I found a big basket bag made to order by Atelier Atwater in Montreal, and the combination has made the bike into a such a useful machine in all weather.